Dubai World Central (DWC), Dubai’s second airport, opened its doors to passengers on October 27, 2013 with Wizz Air as the launch airline. Kuwait-based Jazeera Airways launched services from October 31, 2013 while Gulf Air commenced flights from December 8, 2013 while Qatar commenced double-daily services on March 1, 2014.
DWC welcomed the launch of flydubai’s operations with the arrival of their first flight on October 25, 2015. The airline will operate services to a number of destinations from DWC as it continues its operations from Dubai International.
Dubai Airports launched cargo operations at DWC on June 27, 2010 as part of the first phase of the project. The airport has a total of 36 freight operators (scheduled and chartered) signed up and operating.
DWC is served by 17 passenger carriers operating over 175 flights weekly to 39 international destinations and is home to 34 scheduled cargo operators that fly to as many as 141 destinations around the world.
Expansion of Existing Passenger Terminal
- Dubai Airports announced earlier in 2015 a project to expand existing passenger terminal at DWC to accommodate 26 million passengers per annum by 2018.
- Construction on the project expected to begin in the second half of 2015.
- The project is expected to be completed by the end of 2017 with the expanded facility opening shortly afterwards following the successful completion of a thorough testing and trial programme.
- As part of the existing passenger terminal expansion the check-in area, baggage and immigration halls, and security screening areas will be expanded while the forecourt will be improved to ensure easier access to parking and drop-off areas.
- Once complete the passenger terminal will provide a total of 24 boarding gates, 7 baggage reclaim carousels and an increase to 104 check-in desks.
- The project is a precursor to the $32bn expansion project announced by Dubai Airports in September 2014 to create the world’s biggest airport with an ultimate capacity in excess of 200 million passengers per year.